About Your Driving Lessons
As a new learner driver, this is how you will feel!
Yes, you will feel like a small child all over again! The vehicle control skills you will need to learn, before you can start learning about dealing with all the other things on the road, will seem very strange at first! But you know, the brain is an amazing thing and soon adapts to these new skills. True, some manage this faster than others, but all manage it given time and patience. Don’t be tempted to compare yourself with others when learning to drive, we are all different and so we all learn at different rates and in different ways.
And that is the key to how you will be taught – at your pace and in your preferred style.
Which of these statements fits best with you?
- I see what you mean
- I hear what you’re saying
- That feels right to me
Before I became a driving instructor I was a qualified teacher, trained originally in the ‘child-centred’ methodology. Government ministers come and go, together with their party politics, and so education is in a constant state of change and flux! Some of this is for the better, but then ‘discredited’ by subsequent political parties and education ministers wanting to stamp their mark! So it was with child-centred theories, much maligned post 60s, but here we are now, in the 2nd decade of the 21st century, and driving instructors will now be checked on their training against a set of national standards that require an approach which is client-centred and uses coaching methodology! This is music to my ears!
Click the image above to go to the page it is from and read more about coaching v driving instruction
How this all affects your driving lessons
All learners will have access to the following, which they can use in their preferred way:
- Visual aids – lesson presenters; driving lessons apps on iPad
- YouTube videos matching current in-car learning
- Theory test apps and online training and testing
- Recommended books
- E-Learning website specifically for learner drivers with a wealth of video content with commentary
- Self-reflection app
- Driving lessons record app
- Numerous lesson apps covering the learning to drive syllabus, which can be adapted by the learner for their learning style
- Home study resources and activities, with support for private driving practice